The Governor has approved the code adoption scheduled for Feb. 1, 2021. All applications for building permits submitted before 12:01 a.m. on Feb. 1, 2021 will be under the current 2015 code review. Anything submitted after will be reviewed under the new adopted 2018 codes. All local (OMC) Olympia Municipal codes will be voted on and request for approval from City Council Feb. 2, 2021 in the evening.
The City will consider extension of existing issued building permits that may expire due to inactivity caused by COVID-19. A written request to extend such permits to Dec. 31, 2021 may be submitted to email@example.com for consideration by the Olympia Building Official or designee.
The Permit Center
Permit Center staff are available to help you every step of the way, so that your construction experience in the City of Olympia is a positive one.
Location: Olympia City Hall (2nd floor) 601 4th Avenue E, Olympia, WA 98501
Hours: Monday - Friday, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. (except City-recognized holidays)
Contact: 360.753.8314 (M-F, 8-5) or firstname.lastname@example.org
Forms & fee schedules
All permitting, land use, civil engineering, and bond forms and fee schedules are now available in the "Documents" section of our Online Permit Portal.
Frequently asked questions
I can't find my permit application in the new Permit Portal. Where is it?
What does it cost to build a single-family home in Olympia?
How long does it take to get a building permit?
Only a limited selection of permit types are currently available for online submission/payment/issuance. Over the next year we will increase the number of permit types, with a goal of having all permits online by Summer 2018.
Permit applications for those not yet available for online submission rel="noopener noreferrer" can now be found in the Documents section of the Portal.
When are permit fees due?
Some simple permits can be issued the same day. Other permits can take up to:
- Single Family - 2 weeks
- Commercial Tenant Improvement - 3 to 4 weeks
- New Commercial - 60 to 90 days
How do I schedule Inspections?
Permit fees are due when the permit is issued. Projects requiring Plan Review are subject to a Plan Review fee of 65% of the permit fee that is due when you submit your application.
How do I schedule a Commercial Final?
Inspections rel="noopener noreferrer" must now be scheduled through the Online Permit Portal.
Scheduling requirements and tips
- Please schedule inspections within the next five (5) business days. This reduces the need for cancelations and keeps inspections on schedule.
- You will need to set up a portal account using your specific access code provided. Once this code is entered, you will select the permit needing an inspection.
Can't find your access code? Call us at 360.753.8314.
- The online system allows you to choose AM or PM. If you need a more exact timeframe, please call 360.753.8314 at 8 a.m. on the morning of your inspection.
- You can view your scheduled inspections and get status updates in the Online Permit Portal.
Before you call, visit our Online Permit Center and ensure all...
- Required permits were issued.
- Permits are signed off.
- Permits are paid in full.
Call 360.753.8314 to request a final inspection. Staff will...
- Verify all permits were issued and paid.
- Contact you within 24 hours if there are outstanding fees. You must call to reschedule, once all fees are paid.
Final inspection scheduling
- The inspector will determine if a pre-final inspection is required.
- You will be contacted within 48 hours to schedule an inspection or informed why an inspection cannot be scheduled.
On the day of final inspection you will either be...
- Approved - A certificate of occupancy will be available for download no later than 5 p.m.
- Denied - Cause and actions required will be available no later than 5 p.m.
Contact the Permit Center at 360.753.8314 or CPDinfo@ci.olympia.wa.us