Victim Assistance Program

What is the Victim Assistance Office?

If you are a victim of a crime and the defendant is being prosecuted at the Olympia Municipal Court, The City of Olympia Prosecutor's Office has a person called the Victim Assistance Coordinator (VAC) who is there to help you. The VAC can give you information such as the case status, No Contact Order/Protection Order information, safety alternatives, community support and referrals. The VAC, when requested and available, may be able to accompany you to Olympia Court hearings. The VAC can inform the City Prosecutors about your feelings, concerns and/or questions that you may have about the case. The VAC can be reached at (360) 753-8408.

Medical, Dental and Counseling Assistance

If you are injured in a crime and need medical attention, please do not hesitate to go to the emergency room or see your doctor. If you do not have medical or dental insurance but have injuries directly related from the crime, there is a program called Crime Victim Compensation that can assist with financial coverage. If you also feel that you would like some counseling because of your victimization, this program may also be of assistance. For more information, please call Crime Victim Compensation at 1-800-762-3716.

OPD Cell Phone Program

Our Victim Assistance Office has implemented a Cell Telephone Program that is designed to enable victims of domestic violence to place a call for help when they most need it. Too often there are barriers that prevent someone from calling 911. It is our philosophy that in today's society not being able to afford or have access to a phone is not an acceptable situation. We have established this program to provide cellular phones to people who may be at risk of physical harm.

If you believe that a cellular phone would enhance your safety, or if you wish to donate a cell phone to the program, please call the Olympia Victim Assistance Office at (360)753-8408.

Victim Rights

If you are a victim of domestic violence, you may ask the city or county prosecuting attorney to file a criminal complaint. You also have the right to file a petition in superior or district court requesting an order for protection from domestic abuse which could include any of the following:

  • An order restraining your abuser from further acts of abuse
  • An order directing your abuser to leave your household
  • An order preventing your abuser from entering your residence, school, business or place of employment
  • An order awarding you or the other parent custody of or visitation with your minor child or children
  • An order restraining your abuser from molesting or interfering with minor children in your custody

Note: If you reside in Thurston County, you can get an order from the Thurston County Family and Juvenile Superior Court located at 2801 32nd Avenue SW, Tumwater, WA 98512. The phone number to call for questions about getting a civil protection order is (360) 709-3275.

Connect With Us